Monday, February 9, 2009

Hydra History #3: the twist in the tale

Then it comes the light.
But first, the tangent and bitangent problem...it causes some really annoying (but funny) parallax effects!












After solving this issue, I began fighting with another great effect: the shadows! After a while, and maaaany problems, I've figure out that the road to the demo lead me to a simple shadow map, with the light cast by the player...
This is the scene without the relief, but with the improved water.
Oh yeah, the water!













The other great effect to improve...after some trial, I've ended with a water like that:













I've used a simple environment map to enhance the visual appeal. The noise is terrible by the way, but tweaking it in assembly was a real PAIN!



This shots shows the technique for reflection and refraction, taken from GPU Gems2 Ch19.
Using also the copy of the framebuffer in directx, you can skip the second render of the scene that contains the refraction mask in the alpha channel!






The final set of effects was near completion, but with some problems. Still, this is not a demo that satisfied myself.






































So I ended up writing an importer from quake3 arena bsp maps...














And added some basic physics with Nvidia PhysX.














On august I ended it and in september I began working in the game industry...but still there are many things I want to know and that I'm studying.
This was my first engine from scratch, now I've began a second one (called Hydra IO ) that is different in architecture and more powerful.
Soon I'll post some shots of it, but right now I'm working on the core...

No comments: